UserError's front end display is too narrow

Description of the limitation and why it is relevant to address

Our in-house packages include custom errors, such as the ‘UserError’ for the VIKTOR platform, which indicate to the user the relevant parameter changes required to proceed to the following steps. However, most of the time, the message is not completely visible at first sight.

I think this is relevant for the VIKTOR platform because …
Error messages for the user are important and should be viewed in their entirety.

Submitter proposed design (optional)

To allow more room for the message.

Current workarounds

The mouse must hover over the message for the complete text to be displayed. This requires additional actions from users of our apps, making it less intuitive for them to understand what went wrong.

Also, narrowing the browser leads to more available spaces :

Hi there,

Thanks for this feature request,
The issue here is that the error field shouldn’t interfere with the rest of the UI. In order to reach UI consistency a limit on the dynamic content had to be set.

But I think your request is a good reason to open up the discussion for a re-design. I’ve included your post in the internal issue I made for this.

We’ll keep you posted on developments here!

The issue here is that the error field shouldn’t interfere with the rest of the UI

Yes, I totally agree. In the meantime, I thought a possible fix could be a pop-up over the content, so that it doesn’t interfere with the UI.

1 Like

That is indeed one of the ideas we could take into account :wink: