User-defined directory for DownloadResult

Hi there,

I would like to allow a user to set a directory for a DownloadResult, so downloaded files appear in the correct map right away.

Ideally, there would be a PathField with which to set a directory (I could post that as a feature request?), but I would also be fine with using a TextField to set a directory.

Problem is, I can’t seem to get it working in my own tests, i.e. by adding the download directory in the filename str in the DownloadResult.

Can you tell me if this is possible at all? If it is, can you post a correct example for me to use?

Thanks in advance!

Bas

Hi Bas,

As far as I know this indeed is not possible. All users’ systems are different and there’s no way to access them from the web application. The setting for where downloaded files go (as with all other downloads from the internet) are governed by the browser settings you’re using.

Nonetheless, it does sound very interesting. Could you elaborate a little bit on the use case? Why do people want to have their files in a specific location? And are they repeating this download operation many times?

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your instructive reply, this clears up what you can and cannot change on your side.

The download operation is not carried out many times, I expect a user to prompt somewhere between 1 and 3 DownloadResults per hour, so it’s fine to have them move the downloaded files themselves. My question concerns a nice to have.

The (intended) use case is: we have a predefined directory structure in which the intermediate and final products are placed when downloaded from Viktor. I envision some kind of mapping in which the user defines some root directory and the app understands the subfolders in which to place all products.