Fetch application logging

Description of the limitation and why it is relevant to address

As a developer, I want to fetch the application logs so that we can monitor the application and have a better understanding of what is going on.

I think this is relevant for the VIKTOR platform because without recreating the application locally, you can see what is happening.

Submitter proposed design (optional)

Use the CLI to fetch the logs.

Current workarounds

Recreating the application locally.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Robin for this contribution.

We have been thinking about exposing more of the production data, but probably in the interface itself instead of via the cli. In such an interface there could for instance be an overview of the jobs which have been run and aggregates (this job succeeded X times, error happened Y time, last time on time Z…)

if we would create such a dashboard, what kind of information would help you best to deal with the described limitation?

Activity Dashboard has been added in the March release (v22.3.0)

The activity dashboard Kevin mentions addressed mainly the usage statistics (how often is workspace X used…). Is that part of the information you want to see @Robin_Wimmers?

By application log, I’m thinking of the time an action takes to complete, or a view takes to load. Or the n times the user push the calculation button. Basically the things that happen in the Controller.

One of the latest updates also provides the method names of the endpoints defined in the controller. It is therefore now also possible to track certain end points such as the clicking of specific buttons, fine grained to the level of specific user. It also lists information such as compute duration, whether an error occurred, etc.