Copy Project from app to development environment

Description of the limitation and why it is relevant to address

As a Developer I want to be able to copy a project from the live environment to the development environment so that I can recreate error situations that the users have.

I think this is relevant for the VIKTOR platform because it allows bugs/problems to be dealt with quicker.

The current solution is to manually fill in a project as they have. For a simple app this is workable but for larger apps with multiple levels, this costs a lot of time.

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for taking the time to write out this request! Your question makes a lot of sense, so much so that VIKTOR’s own developers have developed a tool that just this! There is no magic to it, as every VIKTOR app is accessible through an API already anyway, but the tool is not on a (polish) level that we are going to share it with the world. I think there may be a lot of ways VIKTOR could offer you some functionality similar to what you describe, so I made a issue on our internal board to track this request.

In the not-too-distant future we are going to roll out some things that will help you as a developer to find out what is going wrong for a user, which might alleviate some of the annoyance. We will keep you posted on that!

In the meantime the feature that @rweigand desribes has been released: users can report problems they encounter in production, resulting in an error report which contain the params of the job that failed.

@NBouwman: does that address your main concern? If not, could you explain what is missing?

@NBouwman, more good news: the VIKTOR Development Tools repository is now public!!! :partying_face:

Please heed the warnings which are stated in the Readme, but these tools do allow you to do exactly what you’re asking for in this feature request

Let us know what you think about it!

1 Like